Thursday, February 25, 2021

Sequel Episode to Dr. Jedidiah's "# 53. Lorrie, My Sweet Valentine"

Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary

Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost his wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or support groups for therapy. These people he has accidentally come across were the paths through which Dr. Jedidiah could look back on his own life, being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.

 

Episode 54. (The Sequel to the episode 53. Lorrie, My Sweet Valentine)

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone 


When Lorrie broke the news about her leaving for study abroad, I became speechless and stopped eating her apple turnover for a moment. I was trying hard to find the right word to say how saddened I was to hear about her plans. All I could do was just slowly finishing the bite of apple turnover in the mouth and looking her in the eye with words untold inside my mind; ‘Lorrie, no…don’t you ever leave me.’  Lorrie held my hands in silence and said “I’ve thought about this for so many years, and that is why I’ve worked my socks off to study more about bakery and pastry in the culinary school in Paris. I’m…so sorry, but…I really want to go before it’s too late.”

 

As the closest person to Lorrie for all those years, I’ve been privileged to luxuriate in all those mouthwatering pies, cookies, rolls, buns, biscuits, and cakes. Those who had ever tasted her sweet treats surely became a devotee. Because I had known how passionate and full of ardent she was while creating a new list of desserts in her own small kitchen even after her darg at work, I wasn’t even able to show her a hint of disappointment or despair. Lorrie asked me to let her go, and I told her to give me a few days to think about her plans and us. Oddly enough, she had been thinking about foregoing her existing skills used to cook knockoff sweets through further explorations of culinary art in Paris, while I was cherishing and dreaming of our sweet and rosy future through all her own cuisine that I had been savoring for years. Lorrie said she did not want to be a snollygoster who snatches people’s money with cheesy and cheap desserts. I told her nobody would think that way or denigrate her culinary creations, but she was not listening. It wasn’t such a pleasant moment to find out that Lorrie and I were standing at the crossroads, looking different ways. The last bite of Lorrie’s apple turnover tasted so bland in my mouth that night.

 


7 years passed by since Lorrie left for Paris. I visited her every once a year or two, and the rest of the years apart from each other had been sporadically soothed by letters and long-distance calls – since we got no such thing as instant text messaging, emails, or social networks or media at all back then -, and I was a firm believer that absence would make the heart grow fonder.  I knew that both of us were not just a flighty couple who would easily act shady even if kept apart or change our minds or emotions towards each other at the drop of a hat. But the more of my voice recordings on her phone were not returned and the longer I waited for her letters, the deeper crevice I felt in our relationship.  Each time I drove home, I’d find myself quietly absorbed in the tune and lyrics of Bill Withers’ Ain’t No Sunshine. I didn’t know since when, but I was feeling we were slowly and gradually becoming alienated. The taste of her pies and cookies was on the tip of my memory, which had made me inconsolable.

 

 

I had not stopped by Rise & Shine since Lorrie left for Paris. The aroma of their freshly brewed coffee had always been right there, but it was ME and my most prized days with Lorrie that had NOT been there. One day, just as usual, I was humming the lyrics “Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone. Only darkness everyday. Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone, and this house just ain’t no home anytime she goes away…..” when I passed by the coffee shop on my way home from clinic. A woman sitting at the outdoor table caught my eyes. I couldn’t breathe for a second. It was her. It was Lorrie with the same old sunshiny smile that greeted me every night and day. When I hurried back to the parking lot and got out of my car, she stood up with her arms wide open and said “Hey, doc J! You still hem and haw?” A lot of thoughts and emotions were filling up my mind as I was briskly walking towards her: ‘I knew she loved me, but still obfuscated me every now and then. Has she finally come back to me for good? Could we reach the very place where we’d be together now? No more leaving or letting go?’ When I held her in my arms, I hoped that Lorrie would be proud of her baked goods that were really out of this world and no other sweet things would even dare to stand toe to toe with hers. She needed to quit being her own smellfungus. I asked her to bake me my favorite apple turnover that night of her return. No more bland and bitter memory of the pie lingering in my mouth. It was “gLORRIEously” good to me.


Listen to Bill Wither's Ain't No Sunshine on Andres Trevino's Youtube Channel


Expressions

1.  to work one’s socks off: to work extremely hard and their fingers to the bone

2.  to luxuriate in …: to indulge in…./ to enjoy… very much

3.  devotee: someone who is very enthusiastic about something

4.  darg: a day’s work

5.   Oddly enough,: used for saying that something is not what you would expect in a particular situation

6.  Oddly enough, she wasn’t offended by his remarks.

7.  to forego: to go without…/ to do without…/ to give up…..

8.  knockoff: an item intended to look like something it is not, such as an expensive watch or designer clothes.

9.  snollygoster: shrewd and unprincipled person

10.              to denigrate…: criticize unfairly; disparage

11.              Absence makes the heart grow fonder.: When someone or something is far away, you realize how much you love (or miss) them or it.

12.              flighty: capricious/ very changing/ unreliable

13.              To act shady: to act fake or sketchy and not trustworthy

14.              at the drop of a hat: immediately/ without delay/ without any hesitation

15.              to obfuscate…: to confuse or bewilder somebody

16.              out of this world: very impressive or extremely good/ excellent

17.              to stand toe to toe with ….: to be willing to or be able to compete/ fight with ….

18.              smellfungus: harsh critic or fault-finder who complains about everything to everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...