Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Got skin problems in winter?

Whenever we ring in a new year, the first wish that comes to most of our minds is “to stay healthy”. I hope and pray that every one of you out there has been off to a perfectly healthy start of this new year of the Ox. Well, even if you might not need to learn medical terms or how to express your health problems in English, I hope you find the following expressions to describe some of your skin probs/symptoms useful during this season of dry wintry chill at a dermatologist office.

 


At Dermatologist Office 

    1.   Irritating sensation of the skin that makes you want to scratch: I feel itchy on my scalp/ all over my body (especially when I don’t sleep tight or enough).

 

 

    2.   In case you have painless skin growth: Could you please check on this skin tag on my neck?

 

    3.   Asking about the store-bought patch/cream/ointment for small solid texture of skin growth: Is the OTC (Over-The-Counter) wart remover/ wart freeze safe to use?

 

    4.   Asking about some scars/  wounds of stitches: Will these stitches go away or stay for good?

 

    5.   To learn about a section of toughened or thick part of your skin – often on your feet – due to constant pressure or friction:  I run every day and have developed calluses on the big toe. Should I get rid of them even if they don’t hurt?

 

    6.   To see if a stitch or row of stitches holding together the edges of a wound or surgical incision will stay or go away: How long will it take for my sutures (or stitches) to dissolve/ disappear on their own?

 

    7.   In case you wonder if your dark spots/moles may need to be more thoroughly examined to check for the possibility of malignant melanoma: Do I need biopsy of this mole?

 

    8.   When you feel your skin getting too dry or lacking moisture to the point of peeling: What should I do about my flaky skin during winter?

 

    9.   If you have sudden burning or itching sensation on one side of your body: My lower back has been feeling tingling. Could it be the Shingles?

 

    10.  Asking about the availability of a doctor-recommended skincare products in online or offline markets: Would I need a prescription for this emollient cream?

 

    11. In case you give your doctor information/descriptions about your skin type when you often develop pimples: I have acne-prone skin.

 

    12. Asking about the possible relationship between the symptoms of having red blemishes and your hormonal imbalance or contact inflammation: Does my rosacea have something to do with hormonal fluctuations or allergic reaction to cosmetics?

 

    13. Asking about the possibility to remove reddish or brown mark on your body from birth: Can I get my birthmarks on the forehead removed?

 

    14. To be correctly informed about skin exfoliation and its possible harmful effects on your outer most skin layer: Does frequent use (=overuse) of exfoliators weaken your skin barrier?

   

    15. Asking about the well-known anti-ageing injection Botox and the duration of its valid effects: Would Botox keep crow’s feet at bay permanently?

 

    16. Asking if self tanners (lotion/cream/booths) might be harmful on your skin: Is it safe to use self tanning products? / Could self tanning booths be damaging on your skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...