Sunday, February 14, 2021

New Episode of Dr. Jedidiah's Diary: Episode #53. Lorrie, My Sweet Valentine

Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary

Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost his wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or support groups for therapy. These people he has accidentally come across were the paths through which Dr. Jedidiah could look back on his own life, being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.

 

 


Episode 53. Lorrie, My Sweet Valentine

 

For more than 7 years, she had been the very first person that I saw every single morning before heading to my clinic. I was always the very first customer in their parking lot, waiting for the coffee shop Rise & Shine to open. I had no idea since when, but over the years, I came to realize that it was not the irreplaceable aroma of their freshly brewed coffee, but the irresistibly attractive and bright smile of this lady named Lorrie. As she was taking out her apron on which her name was engraved, she’d wink at me and said “Oh, c’mon, Dr. J. I know you like me. Stop tip-toeing around me. No more hem and haw.” Then I would just give her an awkward smile, which could have looked like “I’m not interested in you, and that’s that.” When the regular morning crowd started to rush in, Lorrie was already bustling in and out of the kitchen. I wasn’t able to find the right moment for a pleasant badinage between Lorrie and me.

 

Sometimes, I’d stop by Rise & Shine Lorrie on my way home from work. Their blueberry scones and cherry muffins never let me down. Even in dusky hours, Lorrie never looked jaded or frazzled even after a long day. “Hey, Lorrie, you stay here all day, every day, and no time to spend the money you make. You’re gonna own this place some day, right?” Lorrie seemed to be amused at my words, but said “Well, I know you’re kidding me, but who knows? Rise & Shine has often been on our local paper as the best relaxing coffee shop! I think it is I who has made it possible. Haha…”  Yes, it was true that Rise & Shine had gained critical acclaim for all those years in our community. Cozy vibe, smiling staff, fresh and deep taste of coffees and teas, delectable refreshments of all kinds, ….and most of all, Lorrie was the very reason that had turned this place into people’s major hangout. I asked myself if it’s true interest in her that evolved into some kind of unhealthy limerence over the years. I answered my stupid question, not as a shrink, but as one lonely guy: ‘Just quit analyzing your thoughts and behaviors. Go ask her out, you chicken!...but what if my teenaged boy’s against his daddy’s romance when his late mom is still right there in his and my hearts?’

 

While I was deep in my own thoughts, sipping my tea to the last drop, I heard Lorrie mumbling in a very low voice “Ugh…so much for a small talk!” I said “Pardon? Were you saying something to me? Sorry, Lorry, I was…kinda absent-minded. Are you leaving for home now? Let me give you a ride tonight.” Lorrie looked a bit surprised, and so did I at my own words. Little had I imagined that I could ever muster up all my courage to act like that in front Lorrie.

 

Lorrie and I had a long talk for the very first time. It was not at the parking lot or inside the hall of Rise & Shine. We were just driving around and enjoying endless conversations about how things are going these day, where we grew up, first love, favorite foods, music, and even the most traumatic incident in life. Mine was none other than my beloved wife Demi’s death. Lorrie said she’d had a rough go of it, growing up with no parental tutelage.  Her parents divorced when she was only 7, and her mom who took the full custody of Lorrie passed away after 3 years of painful struggling with breast cancer. Her alcoholic father had been in and out of the rehab, and Lorrie had nowhere to turn to. With the help of church she and her mother used to belong to, Lorrie was placed with a foster family. Thorns of life never seemed to be uprooted for the poor girl. She had been sexually abused and molested by her stepfather and his oldest son for years.

 

Lorrie said she did not want anything more than today’s uneventful, peaceful life that allowed her to make ends meet all by herself. She went on to say that she must be the happiest waitress of a coffee shop in the whole world. I said I agreed and knew in my heart that nothing in this world could ever wear down her spirit. But there was one thing she had missed out on throughout her harsh life. It was finding or meeting somebody to love and to be loved by. Lorrie looked surprised again, but nicely and happily surprised this time, when I smiled and said “I bought this box of chocolates at Rise & Shine for you. Will you…just…just once….or every year as of today…be my Valentine, Lorrie?” She quietly winked at me, opening up the box of chocolates and picked one for her and one for me. “There! Now you’ve finally quit your signature act of hemming and hawing.” Lorrie’s beautiful smile was sweeter than the chocolate. She was the happiest waitress who was about to date the happiest shrink in the world.

 

Expressions

1.  to hem and haw: to take a long time before making a decision about what to do

2.  That’s that!: There is nothing more to say or do about it. (The speaker is trying to indicate that he/she is not changing their decision.)

3.  badinage: humorous and witty conversation

4.  jaded: tired, exhausted, bored, or lacking enthusiasm

5.  to gain critical acclaim: to earn or achieve enthusiastic approval

6.  limerence: a state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person and typically includes obsessive thoughts and fantasies and a desire to form or maintain a relationship with the object of love and have one's feelings reciprocated

7.  So much for something!: An expression of dismissiveness, disappointment, disregard, or resignation; something said upon rejecting

8.  to muster up all one’s courage: try hard to find that quality in yourself because you need it in order to do something

9.  to have a rough go of it: to have a very difficult experience

10.      parental tutelage: protection or guardianship of parents

2 comments:

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...