Monday, February 6, 2017

How to Express that You Are at a Loss?

Life often gives us lemons. Could you be ready right away to face up to those lemons and make a juicy glass of lemonade out of them? Most of us become speechless in the unexpected avalanche of shock in life. How would you express your feelings in English when you get tongue-tied in disappointing situations? Here’s the list of words that describe the feelings of frustration. (source from www.dictionary.com)


disconcerted: bewildered/ perturbed/ confused by something unexpected
e.g., The students were disconcerted the moment their history teacher said they’d have a pop quiz.

befuddled: perplexed/ stupefied/ clueless
e.g., Tom was totally befuddled when he found out his close buddy Jack decided to divorce.

discombobulated: completely fallen apart or upset/ frustrated
e.g., Since Annie hadn’t been able to sleep for three nights on end, she was totally discombobulated while taking the driver’s license test.

dumbfounded: astonished/ to become speechless with amazement
e.g., All my friends and I became dumbfounded at the result of the 45th presidential election in the U.S.

dumbstruck: made silent or dumbfounded by surprise, astonishment, or confusion
e.g., People at the shopping mall were dumbstruck when they heard a huge noise that sounded like a gun shot nearby.

flabbergasted: shocked, agitated, or to be in a state of confusion
e.g., Terry’s mom was flabbergasted when she found out her purse had been stolen.

flummoxed: bewildered/ confounded
e.g., My boss told me I was laid off, and I became flummoxed. I thought I’d never be fired like that.

nonplussed: unable to think or speak/ bewildered
e.g., Don’t expect me to get nonplussed at the news that the White House Security Advisor had resigned. I knew it would happen in any time soon.

bumfuzzled: confused or clueless by the situation
e.g., The waitress became totally bumfuzzled when she found no tips left at all on the table after the huge party she served was gone.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...