Monday, January 2, 2017

Are you an ANALOG or a DIGITAL type of person?

I wonder when exactly it was that I last received a long letter handwritten on a pretty piece of paper. To my chagrin, the tangible mails in my mailbox are pretty much bills and ads. Although personally heartfelt snail mail is fast decreasing every year, I still check the list of my family and friends to whom I would send my handwritten Christmas cards every December. If you are the one who still delights in picking up paperback novels instead of fashionably slide-turning the page of a book on the Kindle, we are on the same wavelength.

No one can deny that a digital revolution has swept almost every corner of our lives at a crazy pace. Millennials in my family, including my own son and nephew, enjoy high technology in smart phones, video games, and various kinds of gadgets and gizmos that take up and fill quite a lot of space in their lives. At a glance, they seem to read “literal” books (made of paper and ink) just as a drudgery of school work, not for the personal experience with those texts. However, each time I read their Facebook postings or twitter messages, I can tell many of our young ones still crave writing and reading each other’s mind, though they do it NOT on palpable materials like papers fold in an envelope.  One thing common between  techies and the old school people (like me) is that we all want to stay connected by writing, reading, and feeling one another’s heart and thoughts.
Yes, either emails or snail mails, paperback novels or Kindle versions, playing LPs or youtube, I don’t think it matters as long as we share blessings with one another through reaching out. Thank you, at the moment, for being connected to my blog, friends!

Expressions
-          Snail mail: mail delivered by postal system (which refers to the slow speed of a snail)
-          to delight in doing …..: to find pleasure in doing….
-          Millennials: same as millennial generation that was  named as such due to their coming-of-age at around the turn of the millenium in some way, shape, or form. A realistic time frame would be early 1980s to mid 1990s
-          gadgets and gizmos: a usually small mechanical or electronic device
-          drudgery: hard and dull work

-          palpable: sensible by any of the 5 human senses, or by intuition, also known as the 6th sense

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time to play the latest puzzle from the NPR Sunday on-air challenge!

Every answer today is a pair of related words that start with the same letter and end with the same letter.   Ex.] Name two 5-letter roc...