Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Short Eerie Stories to Read and Think about on a hot Summer Night

 Eerie, Scary Stories for Summer Night

What do you do on sleepless nights to employ the long, tedious summertime? Here are some short stories that could send shivers down your spine and stop for a moment to think. We are all living in the world full of uncertainty and fuddery, which makes us uneasy quite often times. Horror stories or episodes might be the other side of our lives that are lurking anywhere to catch us off guard. 





Meg, my BFF

by Jean Lee

 

Sally and Meg have been pretty tight since their childhood. Meg was always right there by Sally’s side either when she was needed or not. Since Sally met her Mr. Right someday, Meg’s loneliness came into play as if she became a third wheel.  On the big day of Sally’s wedding, Meg sent her text message.

“Hey, girl, I wish I were there at your wedding, but I’m leaving for some place where I’ll spend the rest of my life that day. I will make sure to stay in touch, though. Love you forever.”

Sally had found new text message from Meg on her cell phone every single night for over a month even after her wedding, but later on, she heard from their mutual friend that Meg took her own life on Sally’s wedding day. Sally took out her cell to double-check all the text messages sent from Meg. Nothing was found since her wedding day. Sally became confused if she was dreaming a nightmare or a nightmare is dreaming Sally’s life without Meg. 


 

 

What They Don’t Tell You about the Dead

By Crimsai

 

I don’t want to sound mean, but the dead are pretty clueless. I’ve always seen them. When I was younger everyone thought I was just talking to imaginary friends. After a couple of years, when I overheard my parents talk about calling a psychologist, I realised what I was talking to. See, ghosts don’t tend to realise they’re dead, and they don’t look like in the movies, they look just like us. I’m pretty smart for a 13-year-old, so I started noticing certain patterns to tell them apart from the living. They could be a bit distant from living people, or you’d see them try to talk to people who wouldn’t even notice them. Some of them could tell I was different, that I noticed them. Like this guy I saw after school yesterday. I’m a big boy now, see, I don’t need my parents to pick me up, home is just a short walk away. He was standing away from the other parents, didn’t talk to them, just stared at me, that’s how I knew he was one of the ghosts. I went over, told him I knew what he was, and asked how I could help him. I don’t remember much after that, I think because of what happened this morning. Downstairs, my parents were crying. I tried talking to them but they ignored me. They must have died last night somehow, sometimes the new ghosts wouldn’t talk to me. Some police officers and reporters just arrived, they won’t talk to me either, just my parents. It’s weird, I’ve never seen so many ghosts together before. Why won’t anyone talk to me?

 

 


 

 

The Prettiest Girl in the Class

by Twisting Straw

 

She was the prettiest girl in the class, but of course she never heard that from me. I was obsessed with her. I’d steal glances at her every chance I got.

During class when I was supposed to be taking notes, on the train we rode after school.

But today I wanted to do more. I hopped off the train when she got off and followed her out of the station and onto the sidewalk.

I made sure to keep my distance.

I wanted to surprise her.

It was pretty hard staying within a good distance of her, though. She kept taking furtive glances back, and I looked down at my phone or pretended to tie my shoe every time she would.

When she unlocked the door and stepped inside her house, I crept to the front stairs. My heart pounded as I rang the doorbell.

A chime sounded from inside and awoke the butterflies in my stomach. Just as I reached again for the doorbell, she opened the door ajar and, recognizing my face, gestured for me to hurry in, promptly closing the door behind me.

“There was a guy,” she paused, “There was a guy following…”

“Yeah, it was me.” The words came out of my mouth before I realized what I had said.

“I know that,” I sighed in relief “But I’m talking about the man behind you.”

The doorbell chimed, and the butterflies in my stomach stood still this time.

 

 

 


 

Guardians

By Dark Alligator

 

He awoke to the huge, insect like creatures looming over his bed and screamed his lungs out. They hastily left the room and he stayed up all night, shaking and wondering if it had been a dream. The next morning, there was a tap on the door. Gathering his courage, he opened it to see one of them gently place a plate filled with fried breakfast on the floor, then retreat to a safe distance. Bewildered, he accepted the gift. The creatures chittered excitedly. This happened every day for weeks. At first, he was worried they were fattening him up, but after a particularly greasy breakfast left him clutching his chest from heartburn, they were replaced with fresh fruit. As well as cooking, they poured hot steamy baths for him and even tucked him in when he went to bed. It was bizarre. One night, he awoke to gunshots and screaming. He raced downstairs to find a decapitated burglar being devoured by the insects. He was sickened, but disposed of the remains as best he could. He knew they had just been protecting him. One morning the creatures wouldn’t let him leave his room. He lay down, confused but trusting as they ushered him back into bed. Whatever their motives, they weren’t going to hurt him. Hours later a burning pain spread throughout his body. It felt like his stomach was filled with razor wire. The insects chittered as he spasmed and moaned. It was only when he felt a terrible squirming feeling beneath his skin that he realized the insects hadn’t been protecting him. They had been protecting their young.

 

 



  

Timekeeper

By Gridster 2

 

He had been given the watch on his tenth birthday. It was an ordinary grey plastic wristwatch in every respect except for the fact that it was counting down. “That is all of the time you have left in the world, son. Use it wisely.” And indeed he did. As the watch ticked away, the boy, now a man, lived life to the fullest. He climbed mountains and swam oceans. He talked and laughed and lived and loved. The man was never afraid, for he knew exactly how much time he had left. Eventually, the watch began its final countdown. The old man stood looking over everything he had done, everything he had built. 5. He shook hands with his old business partner, the man who had long been his friend and confidant. 4. His dog came and licked his hand, earning a pat on the head for its companionship. 3. He hugged his son, knowing that he had been a good father. 2. He kissed his wife on the forehead one last time. 1. The old man smiled and closed his eyes.

 

Then, nothing happened. The watch beeped once and turned off. The man stood standing there, very much alive. You would think that at that moment he would have been overjoyed. Instead, for the first time in his life, the man was scared.




**Source from short horror stories  on scoopwhoop 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...