Tuesday, June 1, 2021

New Episode (#62) of Dr. Jedidiah's Diary: My New Neighbor, Beautiful & Precious

Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary

Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost phis wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.

 

Episode # 62. My New Neighbor, Beautiful and Precious

I still remember the day when I first met Halona, the lady living next door to me. When she moved to the house on this street, people in this neighborhood were ready to welcome this newcomer, because there had not been a change of any kind in our community for so long. People had been sick of doldrum of uneventful and lackluster days. No one had moved in and out around here for almost 7 years.

 

On my way out to work, I saw a U-Haul truck coming onto my street. Then a young woman came out of the vehicle. She looked tired but gave me a faint smile when our eyes met. Even before I returned her smile with mine, she looked the other way and hurried inside the house. Although it’d been just a few minutes since we met, I knew that this woman was not the kind of person who would enjoy palavers or vibing with people in her neighborhood. I hated this old habit of mine that I’d judge or guess someone’s disposition at first sight, but couldn’t help but think that I got a weird neighborhood. Her eyes were telling me beyond peradventure that she didn’t want to socialize with anyone around here.

 

One Friday afternoon, I was packing up my water bottle and energy gels for a hiking with friends. While lacing up my brand new trail shoes, which was boosting my mood, I heard a couple knocks on the door. There was this newcomer woman who moved right next door. “Hi, we’ve met, right? I made some Sticky Buns. Have you tried it before? Hope you like it. ……..Oh, my name is Halona, …..Halona Deere. You’re Dr. Jedidiah, right? I heard from the previous owner of my house that you’ve been here in this community for a quite a while.” It was a nice surprise to see her again, but actually a bit annoying at the same time to have a visitor when I was about to head out wearing a new pair of shoes. Just like I welcome my patients to the office, I hided my somewhat uncomfortable feelings and asked her to come inside. It took her more than three months to come to my place and tell me about her.

 


Halona was not living alone. She was taking care of her baby boy who was born with a congenital malformation. It seemed to me that she was feeling lucky to live away from her abusive husband and end up here with the help of her close friend from the same Native American reservation, who got out of that intoxicating place and became a medical doctor later on. Halona asked me if I could help her stop drinking alcohol. She had been physically abused and assaulted by her chronically diabetic and alcoholic husband for many years back in the reservation. As I had known and learned, Halona's life was miserable and unimaginably incorrigible in the Native American Reservation. Halona said “I have never felt truly welcomed or treated with equality anywhere inside or outside of the reservation. I hated my husband's pathetic dependence on alcohol, I had gradually come to turn to the same awful thing. I even started to hide all my beer bottles from my evil self in the house. My life was just like a broken steering wheel that uncontrollably judders in my hands. I wonder if I could find myself owning my life here.”

 

My hiking arrangement with friends that Friday had to be canceled and led to a long conversation with Halona, enjoying her Cherokee traditional Sticky Buns. I wanted my other neighbors to have a chance to taste this mouthwatering pie as well. Now, my favorite café “Rise and Shine” can’t imagine a day without Halona’s Sticky Buns. They hired this woman who made a dash for a big change in her life to bring the spirit and energy to the taste of their sweet treats. Now the entire neighborhood began to taste the change they had yearned for quite a long time.

 


Halona said her father gave her the most beautiful and precious name “Halona Deere”, meaning “beautiful and precious” in Cherokee tribal language. Finally, her name started to do justice to her beautiful and precious life.

(*Picture Source: https://www.123rf.com/photo_80162648_stock-illustration-illustration-of-a-native-american-mom-carrying-her-child-using-a-sling-called-papoose.html)




Expressions

    1.  palaver: idle talk/ chitchat

    2.  to vibe with someone: to be in harmony with someone; to get along with someone

    3.  beyond peradventure: without doubt/ certainly

    4.  Sticky Buns: the Cherokee Native Americans’ traditional dessert using brown sugar and pecans

    5.  Halona: meaning “happy fortune” in Native American language

    6. a congenital malformation: a physical defect present in a baby at birth that can involve many different parts of the body

    7.  Native American Reservation: The Indian reservation system was created to keep Native Americans off of lands that European Americans wished to settle. The reservation system allowed indigenous people to govern themselves and to maintain some of their cultural and social traditions.

    8.  to judder: (especially of something mechanical) shake and vibrate rapidly and with force

    9.  to yearn for something: have an intense feeling of longing for something, typically something that one has lost or been separated from

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...