Monday, June 14, 2021

Episode #63 of Dr. Jedidiah's Diary: The Fortuneteller Amy vs. Psychiatrist Jedidiah

Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary

Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost phis wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.

 

Episode # 63. Fortuneteller Amy vs. Psychiatrist Jedidiah

The moment I stepped into her fortune telling place, I doubted my previous feelings and thoughts about the palm reader Amy. I had wished to trust her earnest attitude about her occupation, but I got a gut feeling that she was a fraud on entering the place. It was not because she looked like a scam palm reader wearing obnoxiously colorful garments, but rather because she was trying hard to look too serious as she was basting turkey in the corner of her shop. It was the strangest Thanksgiving that I’d had in my life. I was saying to myself ‘What kind of boondoggle is this? What am I doing here on a Thanksgiving holiday?’

 


Amy was a 45 year-old fortune teller that I met at a broadcast station. I was invited to a panel debate show as a psychiatrist, and the day’s topic was “Mind Reading and Happy Life”. Amy was also one of the debaters on the show. I was the only one that did not know how famous she was as a palm reader. The other panelists told me she had been writing a column on a monthly magazine and appearing on TV live shows to tell about the future of random folks’ from the audience many times for the past several years. Since I had never been superstitious or a believer of surreal phenomena in life, I had trouble keeping myself from saying “Fiddlesticks! Are you guys really sold on her obvious skullduggery?” After an hour of our heated debate on the show, we had a couple of people from the audience who volunteered to ask for their fortune and future. Amy told each one of the volunteer guests not only about their future life but a bit of their past in detail as well. I was surprised to see the guests’ alarmed faces when they heard Amy’s words interlarded with a lot of details of their past lives that she could never know. Even to me, who had been totally against all different kinds of gimmicks or tricks to mislead and deceive people’s mind, Amy’s banausic but magnetic way of speaking was good enough to make any doubts or disbelief gradually deliquesce to the point of blank state of mind. Her presence was pièce de résistance on the show. I started to find myself stultified in the middle of this failed debate. I felt that I already reached the moot point of the day’s debate.

 

Since that day of perplexing TV debate show, I became confused and held myself somewhat aloof from any type of ‘in-public’ appearances on mass media. Even among my fellow psychiatrists, I felt myself like a decoupled heel from the solid forefoot area of a shoe. Then one day I got a call from Amy. She invited me to her palm reading house over the Thanksgiving weekend. Her invitation was like a bitter remembrancer of my failed debate show, but I inadvertently said that I’d come to her place. She served a huge turkey to celebrate the special day and handed me the carving knife, saying “Please do not use this knife to kill me. It is for carving this turkey on this memorable day.” Returning her smile, I came to look down at some photos and some memos of personal history and information in the corner of her counseling table. Those were familiar faces that I saw on the debate show. Amy said she had been provided beforehand with the personal information about each of the volunteer guests and all the other panelists on the show. “Dr. J, the show was perfectly preplanned and coordinated. You were the only one who wasn’t in the loop, because they knew you’d be a naysayer to their plans, and most of all, having one innocent panel debater would make the show more realistic.”

 

Amy was told by the staff from the broadcast station not to leak what happened behind the curtain, but she wanted to confide in me. Before I asked her why, she went on to say that life was like a kaleidoscope. “Someone believes others, and those others deceive the believers. Well…team work makes a dream work.” I was speechless, but still wanted to ask her to show me my future that night.

 

Expressions

    1.  to baste…: pour juices or melted fat over (meat) during cooking in order to keep it moist

 

    2.  boondoggle: waste money or time on unnecessary or questionable projects

 

    3.  fiddlesticks: something of little value/ trifle

 

    4.  to be sold on …: to be confident in or convinced about something's viability, veracity, etc., often to the point of being enthusiastically supportive of it

 

    5.  skullduggery: underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; trickery

 

    6.  to interlard… with ~: “to load up/ to pepper something with ~"

 

    7.  banausic: (*somewhat pejoratively) not operating on a refined or elevated level; mundane

 

    8.  to deliquesce: to dissolve/ to melt away

 

    9.  pièce de pièce de résistance: the most remarkable/ important feature

 

    10.  to stultify …: cause (someone) to appear foolish or absurd

 

    11. moot point: a fact that doesn't matter anymore because it's not relevant to the current situation

 

    12.  remembrancer: a person with the job or responsibility of reminding others of something; a chronicler

 

    13.  naysayer: one who denies, refuses, opposes, or is skeptical or cynical about something

 

    14.  to confide in someone: to tell personal or private things to someone

2 comments:

  1. Wow
    How in the world do you come up with these stories ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.....my head is always full of wild imaginations. 😜🤣

      Delete

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...