Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Dr. Jedidiah's Diary Episode #35. Her HIS(s)tory


Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary

Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost his wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or support groups for therapy. These people he has accidentally come across were the paths through which Dr. Jedidiah could look back on his own life, being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or some fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.





Episode # 35. Her History

Kirsten had always looked perfectly presentable from head to toe. If she happened to be in your sight, you might have thought that she was heading for a date or an exciting party. She looked far from ‘artless beauty’, but rather intentionally dolled up with full makeup and long feathered hair style. Each time I asked her how it was going with her youtube channel called “Beauty Queen”, she became all smiles with a twinkle in her eyes and said “Dr. J, are you also interested in wearing some BB cream for guys? I’ve got a list of good ones for you, hon.” I was lost for words….. or pretended I didn’t hear her. Embarrassed, but I had to look as unperturbed and professional as I could when she was right there as my patient in my office.





It was a couple of years ago that I first came to a night club in my neck of the woods. A lot of my hiking cohorts used to get together after a day long trekking, and one of their favorite hangouts was this place called “Last Chance”. Having an endless chat about many a terrain out there to explore over a cold beer or two was my hiking friends’ modus operandi of relieving weekly stress. Among them was a blabbermouth named Donny who delighted in gossip mongering and spreading jabberwocky all the time. Everyone there knew that Donny was no more than a quidnunc and didn’t care at all about what he said. One night, by the time the singer of the club came onto a stage, Donny became terribly stoned and started to yell at her “Hey, you faggot in that kitschy dress! Get off from the stage!.......haha…I know you’re a pathetic drag queen! Get out! Get out!” In a split second, people at every table gave the singer a quiet, cold, and irretrievable stare. The other friends in our group and I tried to pull Donny out of the place and let him get some fresh air before the entire club turned into a pandemonium. I was very ashamed to be his company and left the club. I could use the long walk to my house as the time to sober up and think over what Donny’s drunk gibberish was all about. As my head got cleared up, the embarrassment started to sink in. I was like ‘Holy crap! What if the singer Kirsten was not a drag queen? What if she was?’





Almost half a year later since that night, the club singer Kirsten knocked on the door of my office. She said she’d been going out with one of my friends who were there at the club that night. “I’m here to let you know that I am “physically, mentally, and legitimately” woman now. I’ve always been on the receiving end of getting maltreatment and discrimination because of my sexuality. But ….it is His(s)tory now. Would you come to my wedding next month, Dr. J?”  I was happy to see Kirsten’s life turning into the way she had desired with her body and soul. Now she was fully ready to set off for her story against all odds and prejudice of crooked minds. As a successful youtuber of trendsetting beauty and fashion with exponentially increasing subscribers, Kirsten seemed like and actually became the most beautiful woman in the world.






Expressions

   

   1.  artless: without skill/ finesse/effort



   
   2.   (to get) dolled up: to dress, coif and/or apply makeup in an elegant manner so as to look like a doll



   3.   a hangout: a favorite place for spending time





   4.   modus operandi: a particular way of doing something





   5.   blabbermouth: a person who talks too much = jibber jabber





   6.   jabberwocky: meaningless speech/ writing





   7.   quidnunc: a person who seeks to know all the latest news or gossip(=busybody)





   8.   stoned: drunk/ tipsy





   9.   faggot: used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a male homosexual





   10.  kitschy: (of art, objects, or design) considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness or sentimentality, but sometimes appreciated in an ironic or knowing way





   11.  to sober up: to become less drunk

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time to play the latest puzzle from the NPR Sunday on-air challenge!

Every answer today is a pair of related words that start with the same letter and end with the same letter.   Ex.] Name two 5-letter roc...