Thursday, August 10, 2017

Time to Look Back on Your Life and Shift Gears!

As an avid runner with a firm belief in all the positive effects of taking multivitamins and probiotic, I have NEVER expected that I’d be attacked someday by this weirdly named disease “SHINGLES”. Each time I saw the advertisements or heard about the warnings/ preventions regarding this disease, I was like “Shi…what?!”, thinking that it was completely not my business at all. I have been quietly taking pride in myself being health-savvy, doing all the well-known good things for body and soul. Daily running, eating smart and healthy, reading and writing, daily meditation, participating local running races from time to time, being a good wife and mother, ….etc, etc, etc.

However, I was way too focused on abiding by all the strict guideposts that I set for myself to realize that I was too tired by my own limited rule of thumb. Shingles came to me abruptly like a huge bomb dropped on a placcid land. Pain from a child delivery, severe low back pain, and this burning sensation caused by Shingles. Yup, Shingles takes the cake when it comes to the physical pain!

As described by the South Korean pediatric psychiatrist named Seo, Cheon Seok, we all learn a precious lesson – whatever it is – from the unexpected pain in the slaps from life.  Even a paladin of healthy life style can go through power outage inside his/her body out of the blue when the so-called “balance” of everything in life is broken. I have learned and am still in the process of learning that everything has a reason for existence, and we need to look back on our lives from time to time. At some point, maybe we should even shift gears or directions of our lives.

Small Thoughts on Shingles
By Jean Lee 

Shingles gave me all those tingles.
They are no jolly, merry jingles.
When survived, it’d make you feel as if you’ve hit bingles!

I have promised myself that I will try harder to strike a good balance of things in my life, going through this tunnel of ‘endurance test’ named Shingles.  

  
Expressions

health-savvy: (adjective) experienced, knowledgable, and well-informed; shrewd about health

rule of thumb: (noun) a general or approximate principle, procedure, or rule based on experience or practice, as opposed to a specific, scientific calculation or estimate

to take the cake: (verb) to win a prize; to be the winner

paladin: (noun) an advocate of a noble/ great cause


to shift gears: (verb) to change modes or suddenly switch what you are doing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...