Tuesday, March 14, 2017

How Effectively Can You Explain Your Health Problems?

It is a known fact that health matters the most in our lives. When you feel ill or under the weather while traveling (or living) in a country where English is spoken as their mother language, you might feel frustrated or panicky with your lack of English expressions. Here’s a list of how you would express your feelings or physical symptoms in English. Hope that helps!

Head
두통 (깨질듯한 두통) 있다: I have a (splitting) headache.
편두통이 있다: I have a migraine.
머리가 계속 욱신욱신 쑤시고 아프다: My head won’t stop pounding.
머리가 어질어질하다 (현기증): I feel lightheaded/ I feel dizzy/ woozy.


Allergies/ Flu Symptoms(for nose/ear and more)
열이 높다: I have a high fever./ I’m running a fever (of 103 degrees).
(꽃가루 등으로 인해) 알러지 증세가 있다.: I have hay fever./ I have sinus symptoms.
콧물이 난다: I have a runny nose.
코가 막힌다.: I have a stuffy nose.
목이 아프다 (인후염): I have a sore throat./ I guess my tonsils are swollen./ I have a strep throat (which is caused by bacteria called streptococcus.)
목이 쉬었다: I have a frog in my throat./ I have hoarseness.
계속 재채기를 한다: I keep sneezing.
기침할 쌔액 쌔액 소리가 난다: I have a wheezing cough.
귀가 울린다/ 욱신 욱신 쑤신다.: My ears are popping/ throbbing.
귀가 안들린다: I can hardly hear well.

Eyes
눈이 따갑다: I have a stinging/ burning/ scratchy sensation in my eyes.
눈이 건조해서 눈물이 고인다: My eyes get watery due to dryness.
눈이 안보인다: My vision gets blurred.
주변에 눈꼽이 낀다:  I have stringy mucus in or around my eyes./  My eyes get gooey.
눈이 부시다: I have sensitivity to light.
렌즈를 착용하면 눈이 충혈된다: My eyes get red when I wear contacts.


Muscles & Joints
온몸이 쑤시고 저리다: My body aches all over.
운동으로 인해서 허벅지 근육이 아프다: My hamstrings are pulled/ tight/ sore.
발목을 삐어서 부었다: I sprained my ankles, and they got swollen.
목과 어깨가 뻣뻣하고 아프다: I have stiff neck and shoulders.
관절염 증세가 시작되는 같다: My arthritis is acting up. 
허리에 극심하게 찌르는 듯한 통증이 있다: I have a sharp pain (or jolt) in my low back.
근육에 경련이 있다/ 쥐가 난다: I have a spasm or cramps in my muscles/ I feel a kink in my muscles.
/발이 부었다.: My hands/ feet are swollen.
달리기를 너무 많이 해서 발톱이 빠졌다: My toenails have fallen off due to running too much.
(오른) 팔이 부러져 깁스를 해야한다: I broke my right arm and it needs to be in plasters/ plaster cast.

Inside mouth/ teeth
구내염이 생겼다: I got a canker sore.
충치 땜질한 것이 빠졌다:My cavity filling has fallen out.
잇몸에서 피가 난다: My gums are bleeding.
부분/전체 틀니가 안맞는다: My partial/ whole denture does not fit in.
치아가 세로로/ 가로로 쪼개졌거나 금이 갔다: There is a horizontal/ vertical crack in my tooth.
자면서 이를 계속 간다: I keep grinding my teeth while sleeping.
밤에 치아 보호대를 착용하고 잔다: I wear a night guard at night.


Stomach & Bowel Movement
배가 아프다/ 소화가 안된다: I have an upset stomach. /I have dyspepsia.
변비가 생겼다: I’ve been getting constipated.
설사를 한다: I have diarrhea because of what I ate last night.
속이 메슥거린다: I feel nauseated./ nauseous.
구토를 같다: I feel like vomiting or throwing up.
속이 쓰리다: I have a heartburn.
속이 더부룩하다 (복부 팽만감): I feel bloated.
배에 가스가 차고 계속 방귀가 나온다: I feel gassy  in my stomach and keep passing gas.


Chest/ Lungs/Heart
숨이 차다/ 호흡하기가 힘들다: I am short of breath./ I have trouble breathing./ My breathing has become labored.
흉통이 있다: I have chest pain.
심장 박동이 크게 느껴진다: I feel and hear my own palpitation.
기침할 가래가 나온다: I cough up phlegm.

Skin
피부가 가렵다: My skin itches.
피부가 (옷등에) 쓸려서 쓰라리다: My skin hurts because of the chafe.
피부 각질이 일어난다: My skin gets flaky.
피부 탄력이 떨어졌다: My skin has lost its elasticity and firmness.
두드러기가 났다: I have a rash.
(아기가 피부에 발진이나 염증이 경우) : The baby has  diaper rash.
피부 여기 저기에 멍이 들다: I have bruises.
햇볕에 그을려 따갑다: I got sunburnt.
피부에 점이 생겼다: I’ve gotten a big mole on my skin.
(*malignant melanoma: 악성 흑색종)
손가락을 크게 베었다/ 살짝 베었다: I cut my finger. It’s a major cut/ minor cut.
손가락에 가시가 박혔다: I got a sliver in my finger.

Bladder
소변이 자주 마렵다: I go pee a hundred times. / too frequently
소변이 탁하다: My urine color is cloudy or murky.
소변에 거품이 있다: My urine is foamy.
요도염에 걸렸다: I have UTI (Urinary Tract Infection).


Sleeping Problems & Fatigue
밤에 두세번은 잠에서 깬다: I wake up a couple of times throughout the night.
최근에 잠을 제대로 못자고 있다: I haven’t been sleeping well lately.

최근에 너무 과로를 해서 몸상태가 좋지 않다: I have been working too hard and feeling run-down/ under the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARE YOU GRAMMAR POLICE? Can you spot a mistake from the given sentences?

It is true that English grammar has been evolving, and some descriptive grammar has outlived its prescriptive version. However, there are ba...