Thursday, October 3, 2024

ARE YOU GRAMMAR POLICE? Can you spot a mistake from the given sentences?

It is true that English grammar has been evolving, and some descriptive grammar has outlived its prescriptive version. However, there are basic grammar rules that should be followed. 

Here are common grammar mistakes that even advanced level of ESL/ EFL students frequently make, especially when they are speaking. Spot a mistake in each of the following sentences and correct them.

 





    1.   I suggested him to find a clue by himself.

 

    2.   I suggest you to do it.

 

    3.   I suggest you are there on time.

 

    4.   I suggest you don’t make the same mistake again.

 

    5.   I am looking for a two bedrooms apartment.

 

    6.   I have a 27 years old daughter.

 

    7.   I would appreciate getting some good advices from you.

 

    8.   I am really looking forward to see you at the party.

 

    9.   In her country, people are used to eat heavy breakfast.

 

    10.  I will tell you the secret when we will have a chance to see each other again.

 

    11.  If he’ll go to the wedding reception, I’ll go, too.

 

    12.  If Joe would have told you the truth, you would not have been disappointed.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Answer Keys

    1.   I suggested he find a clue by himself. or I suggested that he (should) find a clue by himself.

    2.   I suggest you do it. Or I suggest that you do it.

    3.   I suggest you be there on time. Or I suggest that you be there on time.

    4.   I suggest you not make the same mistake again. Or I suggest not making the same mistake again.

    5.   I am looking for a two-bedroom apartment.

    6.   I have a 27-year-old daughter.

    7.   I would appreciate getting some good advice from you.

    8.   I am really looking forward to seeing you at the party.

    9.   In her country, people are used to eating heavy breakfast.

    10.  I will tell you the secret when we have a chance to see each other again.

    11.  If he goes to the wedding reception, I’ll go, too.

    12. If Joe had told you the truth, you would not have been disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARE YOU GRAMMAR POLICE? Can you spot a mistake from the given sentences?

It is true that English grammar has been evolving, and some descriptive grammar has outlived its prescriptive version. However, there are ba...