Monday, August 26, 2019

Let's solve NPR word puzzle!


This week, let me share the NPR weekend puzzle (that was on air on August 25, 2019). It is a bit challenging but fun brainteaser.
For each question, give the name of a famous person with only one name, either because they literally had only one name or because they're generally known by one name. For example, if the question is “usual - U-S-U-A-L - minus U for a biblical king”, the answer is “Saul”.


<1> video - V-I-D-E-O - minus E for a Roman poet.

<2> chrome - C-H-R-O-M-E - minus C for a Greek poet.

<3> Leader - L-E-A-D-E-R - minus R for a singer.

<4> S-H-A-K-E-N - minus N for a singer.

<5> Titanic - T-I-T-A-N-I-C - minus C for an Italian artist.

<6> Pearlash - P-E-A-R-L-A-S-H - minus S for a painter.

<7> Optician - O-P-T-I-C-I-A-N – minus one I, a Native American leader which is also the name of a bygone car.

<8> Palacetour - P-A-L-A-C-E-T-O-U-R - minus U for an Egyptian queen.

<9> Merchandise - M-E-R-C-H-A-N-D-I-S-E - minus N for an ancient Greek mathematician inventor.








<Answer Keys>
    1.   Ovid
    2.   Homer
    3.   Adele
    4.   Kesha
    5.   Titian
    6.   Raphael
    7.   Pontiac
    8.   Cleopatra
    9.   Archimedes

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...