Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What Keeps Me Going


I have always been a morning person who wakes up in the wee hours no matter how late I go to bed. Although I do not have to get out of bed that early to go somewhere for work, I just do. Being wide awake in the hours of serenity that is only sporadically interrupted by birdcalls like owl’s hooting or some random cars with loud engine noise out there in a distance brings me to the sense of peace. Doing my daily pre-run stretching, I wonder where and why the sounds out there are being made. It feels good to know that I am not the only one being awake in this quiet time slot. Even with those total strangers, some kind of comradeship is coming to my mind hearing the sounds.

Among the people who had shared my mornings through the years, the exercise cohort at dawn and the fitness coach (who is also the gym manager) are always the most important and precious group of friends in my life. We are different ages with different backgrounds in life, but all single-hearted when it comes to starting a day in active ways. There have been countless starry skies, full moons (but we are certain that we’re NOT moonstruck to be out here at the gym in this hour), serene daybreaks harmonized with woodnotes, moments of laughter, and the saddest news of Ray’s passing….to name a few in our mornings. No matter what had brought us all to that same place at the same time for a decade, what bonded us together was warm thoughts for one another. We didn’t need to be a humdinger to have each other’s hooly attention. I have counted each of my friends there more than twice every time I count my blessings.

Now that I am currently living in another State away from those loving buddies of mine, my mornings do not look or feel the same at all. Lonely, unaccompanied, isolated, desolate, and still. However, I am still getting up early in the dark and lace up my shoes in the hope of finding my niche somewhere out here at a local gym. I am open to new culture and atmosphere, but what keeps me strong and poised enough to carry on is my good ol’ friends and their TLC. Patty, Brian, Julie, Mary, Margo, Laura, Amy, Merri, Penny, Sarah, Linda, Andre, April, Lynn, John, Barb, and Ray.....I miss you all so much.


Expressions
   
   1.  comradeship: fellowship/ solidarity/ companionship
   
   2.  single-hearted: sincere and dedicated
   
   3.  moon-struck: mad/ crazy/ mentally deranged

   4.  woodnote: a song or call of a woodland bird

   5.  humdinger: one that is extraordinary or remarkable

   6.  hooly: careful/ gentle

   7.   niche: a situation or activity specially suited to a person's interests, abilities, or nature

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time to play the latest puzzle from the NPR Sunday on-air challenge!

Every answer today is a pair of related words that start with the same letter and end with the same letter.   Ex.] Name two 5-letter roc...