Saturday, July 8, 2017

Useful Common American Phrases

In my ESL tutoring class, one of the most important things I found out was that my student wanted to improve his Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills (BICS), because he needed to face every single day at work filled with lots of meetings and conferences full of American coworkers and higher-ups using common English expressions, many of which he doesn’t get their meanings. This week, I will share some of the useful and common English expressions for ESL/ EFL buddies.
1.   to issue a call for ….: to make an official/ public request or invitation for something
e.g., The organizer of the Act Green conference at the McCormick center has issued a call for participations from fertilizer manufacturers.

2.   (It’s) my way or (the) high way.: The attitude of believing that one is always right, and that anyone who doesn't agree has no business dealing with you. No choice other than the way I have described to you.
e.g., My manager said “Before you find a pink slip on your desk one morning, you’d better get real. There’s no other choice to make in this project. It’s my way or the highway!”

3.   It strikes me that…..: It seems to me that…./ used to say that one understands or is aware of something
e.g., It strikes me that you look totally wiped out after hiking with your friends.

4.   (to get) the bang for the/one’s buck: worth the value for what one pays
(*bang means “excitement”, and buck means “money)
e.g., Wow, I’m lucky! I got more bang for my buck in this business! I guess you were right when you advised me on how to invest my money.

5.   It’s a jungle out there!: refers to a threatening environment where it is difficult to survive. The world and the people in it can be very cruel.
e.g., The U.S. president Trump has always believed that mass media and social networks are rigged against him in every way. I think he is living with a strong belief that it’s a jungle out there.

6.   I’m just plugging along.: I’m working steadily away at something;  persevering doggedly; just managing to function
e.g., A: How is your training for the upcoming half marathon going?
       B: Well, I’m just plugging along. Thanks for asking.

7.   Much obliged.: Thanks so much.
e.g., A: Hey, I couldn’t have made it on time without your giving me a ride! Much obliged!
B: No prob.

8.   My bad.: Sorry, it is my fault!  A way of admitting a mistake, and apologizing for that mistake
e.g., A: Who left my fridge door open?    B: Woops! My bad!

9.   sellout: whistle blower/ one who betrays a cause for personal advancement
e.g., Quite often times, laid-off employees would turn out to be sellouts.

10.                More power to you/ya!: You say this to express “Good for you!” or “Well done!” when someone says a secret or something respectable.
(*The stress in this sentence is on “TO”)
e.g., A: You know what! I passed the bar exam!
       B: More power to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...