Friday, April 7, 2017

Some Thoughts from Running in a Trail Race

Bad, sad news came. My cousin died out of the blue. It was only two months after I said goodbye to my dad. Bitter, painful, and strong disbelief in God’s providence. I said to myself ‘This must not be God’s plisky. What kind of lesson is he showing me through back-to-back losses of beloved family and close relatives?’ I could hardly focus on anything, feeling too confused and flaccid. I even dragged myself while doing my favorite pastime “running” with all the worries and concerns that I might be stepping into some kind of weltschmerz or nihilism. Sigh….
Then a pop-up information page about a trail race caught my eyes on line. I blinked my eyes twice and clicked right away to sign up for the race that was only two weeks away. FYI, I had never run on the territory of the woods or in any kind of technical trails in my life. The registration may sound to you like an impulsive decision just to regain normalcy after my recent agony. Yes, it did. I had regretted every single day of the two weeks reluctantly training on the dirt paths of the trail. Running at my fastest pace on the slippery soil littered with twigs and dog poops was not pleasant at all. For those two full weeks, I had been blaming my thoughtless decision to participate in the trail race with not enough time to train.
Make no mistake, the race day arrived, and it was time for me to stop critical drubbing on myself to get ready to toe the start line. Race day jitter reached all the way up in the midst of serious runners of all ages. Most of them had a perfect outdoor runners’ swarthy face and body with toned muscles all over. Damn! I was Intimidated. At 8:00 A.M. sharp, everyone at the start line began the light(?) and joyous(?) journey of 6.24 miles with no time to take a beat.
I had been on the continuum of getting annoyed and frustrated each time I was passed by outrageously fast runners. However, as dopamine ran down through the path of my body while I was picking up the pace, a thought came to me that this pain is something that I can control. It is different kind of physical and emotional pain from that of my past father and cousin. This pain has an end, while theirs was not until their lives came to an end. I’ve tried to believe my loved ones that I lost have gone up to some place better than here or not just better, but rather some place that we can barely imagine how beautiful it is and is filled with the taste of ambrosia. Well, what really happens up there may be kept secret based on the nondisclosure agreement between God’s world and His angels that take people from this place on earth. What I know for sure at the moment is that I need to thank our Lord for another day in which I can run with the pain that has an end and smile in the shower!

Expressions
plisky: a mischievous trick; practical joke or prank

flaccid: lacking force, weak

weltschmerz: sorrow that one feels and accepts as one's necessary portion in life; sentimental pessimism

make no mistake: have no doubt, certainly

critical drubbing: a beating, as with a stick, cudgel

swarthy: (of skin color, complexion, etc.) dark

to take a beat: to stop for a moment to relax; pause and think about what you are doing

ambrosia: nectar of the gods; at celebrations the gods would feast on ambrosia





No comments:

Post a Comment

It's time to play the latest puzzle from the NPR Sunday on-air challenge!

Every answer today is a pair of related words that start with the same letter and end with the same letter.   Ex.] Name two 5-letter roc...