During my recent visit to my auntie at her assisted living home, I found myself standing quietly at the edge of a world I could no longer fully enter. She seemed to be living somewhere between yesterday and today, in a place where memories drift like distant shadows.
More and more of our loved ones—parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, and friends—are slowly losing their sense of time, their familiar paths, and sometimes even the people they once knew by heart. It is heartbreaking to reach for someone we love and feel an invisible wall between us.
Still, we hold on to a small, tender hope: that somewhere deep inside, a part of us remains.
Today, I’d like to share a little poem dedicated to seniors everywhere, whose thoughts and memories are slipping away like handfuls of sand through their fingers—quietly, gently, one grain at a time.
Time with Your Loved Ones Who Got Lost in Time
By Jean J. Lee
It is like a game of lost and found.
I say something, and they forget it right
away.
I pick it up, but they stay spellbound.
I remind them of it, but their mind seems
to keep it at bay.
I quietly wipe my tears, being around.
Their smile makes me pray.
When I find my patience gradually drowned,
My loved ones help me gently call the game
a day.
If only we could make happy moments for
them to surround,
There’ll be no worries that come into play.
Continuing to chase my loved one’s thoughts
like a hound,
I hold on to another hopeful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment