Sunday, April 28, 2019

Dr. Jedidiah’s Diary: Larry's Second Chance



Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost his wife Demi to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or support groups for therapy. These people he has accidentally come across were the paths through which Dr. Jedidiah could look back on his own life, being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.



Episode 16. Larry’s Second Chance


The first thing that came to my mind when I first met Larry was that we could build good friendship that I had hardly ever experienced in the past of my life. Since I had been so focused on my patients, who all had miserable mental problems, I’d had hard time showing my true self to anyone, even if that anyone looked sincere and honest with me. I was surrounded by an invisible wall for the purpose of self-defense and strong determination to stay unaffected by my patients at my office. However, such a strong resolution of mine was not indefatigable at times. Larry was the very one that reached my mind, not as a patient but as a friend. It was probably because of his unforgettable smile.

This smiley, mid-aged guy was discharged from the prison through compassionate release due to his illness. He said he was lucky enough to see a shrink thanks to the fund collected by one of his juvie teachers’ help. The million-dollar smile on his wrinkly face would make me confused about his nasty old days before his prison sentence as a flimflam. He was tossed out into the dark side as a child when his parents passed away due to the accidental drug overdose. He became street savvy way too early, and had to learn how dim his own prospects are without nurturing parents in a cozy little place he could call home. Larry had been shuffled around from the juvie to another shelter, which had left his life smeared thick with pains of being stigmatized as an irreparable outcast. However, quite surprisingly, he was always all smiles, not fake, but rather simple and innocent. I remember asking him the same question over and over again, especially after our official clinic session was over. “How come you have such a big smile? I mean…how could you keep yourself intact from all the bad times you’d gone through?” Sometimes Larry just smiled again, or at other times he said “I just had no shoulders to cry on. I just had to smile."

Awkward silence filled the air like dark clouds while no words were being exchanged between Larry and me. What he said before he left our final session hit me like a thunderbolt out of nowhere. Exhaling a long, deep sigh, Larry said “Nobody asked me why I destroyed my life as well as others’. Nobody ever wanted to learn why I continued to deviate from my right way. Nobody cared what I had been thinking in the absence of mom and dad.” He went on to say that “Those I deceived were at least into what I talked them into. I felt I was seen. I thought I was recognized.” Now that he got only a couple of months left to live, he said he felt truly deeply sorry for those who sold out to his lies.

Larry taught me, no, changed me into someone who tries to be a listener with a warm heart. I had been a corrector, not a care giver. All I was focusing on was to give him a solution, not a sense of shared feelings. Maybe I was unnoticeably enjoying some kind of frisson of straightening him out all along.

I heard that Larry got married to a wonderful lady he met at church a few years ago. Although he died of pancreatic cancer only after half a year into his marriage, the news that he finally found the second chance in life to meet someone who listened to him put a smile on my face. This smile resembles Larry’s, I thought. I lost my beloved Demi, my one and only shoulder to cry on, so I just… smile.




Expressions
   
   1.  indefatigable: incapable of being fatigued/ untiring

   2.   compassionate release: policies designed to allow some of the dying prisoners to be released from prison or jail before sentence completion

   3.  flimflam:  a swindle/scam in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property

   4.   smeared thick with…: (figuratively) one’s reputation has been stained/ smudged by…

   5.   frisson: a brief moment of emotional excitement/ thrill/shudder





No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...