Saturday, December 15, 2018

Dr. Jedidiah's Diary: Episode 11


Dr. Jedidiah is a psychiatrist who loves traveling, meeting new people, and exploring different cultures. As a single father who lost his wife to drug overdose 10 years ago, he has not been his old perky self for the last decade. During those hard years, he has met hundreds of, thousands of people from various walks of life around all over the world. Meeting new people and listening to their stories outside his office have given him different feelings from the ones through the formal encounter groups or support groups for therapy. These people he has accidentally come across were the paths through which Dr. Jedidiah could look back on his own life, being truly honest with himself. Here is Dr. Jedidiah’s monologue that has left him with some food for thoughts in life….or a fodder to justify his own mistakes in the past.
 

Episode #11. Two Faced Socialite

At first sight, I could tell Heather was from a prestigious, upper crust family and living a life that had rendered her into the state of ennui and never covetous of material affluence in the world. After several decades of living as a highbred socialite, she looked unfathomably bored, finding jokesters’ deadpan humor so empty and even vomitous at the end-of-the-year celebrity party at her own house in Holmby Hills, LA. Since it was the event by invitation only, I felt kind of elated and proud of myself being surrounded by well-known figures that night. I was another big cheese among them.

By the time I was half way through my maximum drinking capacity, I could feel a lady who was beautiful but a little misty-eyed coming closer from the kitty corner in the banquet hall. It was Heather. “Getting stoned already?” said the lady with a faint smile on her lips. I was trying to stand upright in front of her, but already felt my knees starting to wobble due to the damn Bacardi cocktail along with other hard liquor. It seemed tough to pretend sound and wide awake in mind when I knew that I was coming on to the legitimate alcoholic beverage. Although she must have known that I was not quite sober enough to be all ears to her words, Heather was just nonchalantly talking about how her life had been treating her for the past years. Like a broken record playing on the turntable, I repetitively heard the same couple of words out of her mouth over and over again. It was “near caught by the security at the mall”.  ‘Hmmm…..wait, what?....Has she been almost caught by the security at the mall? Is she talking about herself or what?....Is it me getting hammered now or has she been really shoplifting?’

In retrospect, she knew that I was halfway fried while she was owning up to her nasty habit of stealing things at shopping malls. She knew that I was a friend of her friend’s distant relatives’ and just wanted to secretly consult about her die-hard habit even though I was not in mint condition as a shrink at that moment. Seemingly, she was whispering her secrets in the ears of a taciturn giving tree that is far from stirring up a rumor. All I can recollect from that night was that I was throwing up inside a posh bathroom inside her private room. My head was splitting and throbbing, and I was trying to find some pain killers in the stranger’s bathroom. It was not until I happened to open the door of a huge built-in cabinet that I came to realize Heather’s confession poured into my ears were an indisputable fact. The moment I opened the cabinet door, a bunch of big and small items still fresh with price tags cascaded down to the floor. Whoa…. Heather, the rich and famous socialite, was living in such a double-faced life. I was too embarrassed to come out of her bathroom. Hate to be situated in this awkward state of mind with that lonely soul fallen asleep in her couch outside. This looked like some kind of a recurring nightmare of my own as a shrink. When I came out of her bathroom, Heather was sleeping like a log in her bed. In the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a small white stuff hanging from her dress as if it were supplicating God for forgiveness. I mumbled myself on my way out of her room ‘Cannot be…’  ‘Cannot be…’


I had never felt myself more incompetent and useless than the night. One thought that still keeps revolving and hovering in my mind is whether she was guilty, just unhappy, or fed up with her own insatiable greed. When would I possibly reach the bottom of the psychological abyss? The long driveway leading to her mansion was full of elation and now stained with bitter sense of shame and confusion.



Expressions

   1.   upper crust: (noun) the highest social class

   2.   to render someone or something into ….: (verb) to cause someone or something to be in a particular state

   3.   ennui: (noun) a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement
   
   4.   covetous of…: (adjective) feeling, expressing, or characterized by a strong or immoderate desire for the possessions of another:
   
   5.   highbred: (adjective) of superior stock or breed
   
   6.   deadpan humor: (noun) The art of having no expression on your face no matter the hilarity or other reactions you are causing in your audience.

   7.   big cheese: (noun) someone knowledgeable and/or of importance and high standing in an area or field

   8.   stoned: (adjective) drunk or intoxicated by drugs or alcohol

   9.   to come on to…: (verb) showing symptoms/ influences by substance or alcohol

   10.               nonchalantly: (adverb) in a relaxed/ calm/ or careless manner

   11.               hammered: (adjective) very drunk

   12.               fried: (adjective) exhausted/ worn out

   13.               to own up to …: (verb) to admit/ confess that you have done something wrong

   14.               to stir up a rumor: (verb) to start a rumor/ gossip
   
   15.               to cascade: (verb) to fall down like a waterfall in a rapid manner

   16.               to sleep like a log: (verb) to sleep very sound and deeply

   17.               to supplicate … for something/ to do something: (verb) to ask or beg for something desperately and humbly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fill in the Blanks with the Right Words!

When you learn English as a second or a foreign language, you might have trouble putting the right words in the right places in a sentence. ...