Thursday, January 25, 2018

Texan Idioms

Wanna learn some idioms or funny phrases originated from Texas with me?
As a newly moved resident here in Texas, I am pretty much interested in local colors especially in language. Let us explore some interesting and appealing expressions of this Lone Star State together!

Guess the meanings of the given expressions (in the box) and fill in the blanks of the following sentences.
madder than a wet hen,   all hat and no cattle,   more than you can shake a stick at,     ready and rarin’ to go,       bless your heart,    sure n’uff,     y’all,
fixin’ to

1. Just can’t wait to go to the concert!!! I am __________________ to go~!

2. The famous Southern cook Paula Deen opens her cooking show by saying “Hey, _____________! Welcome to Paula Deen show!”

3. A: What’s up, man? You look so pissed!
    B: I’m ________________________________ because my room mate took my new car without telling me last night! Gosh!

4. A: What are you doing now?    B: I’m __________________ go shopping for groceries.

5. After I proved the southerner wrong, they looked me straight in the eye and said "_________________________.", which, I later realized, was totally a four letter word in Texas!

6. Jared says he is super rich and normally makes a lot of money. He even says he wishes to buy my business, but after checking his credit references I've found that he's__________________________________.

7. At the protest there will be more homeless people than ______________________________________.

8. A: Dang! That lady is a real looker!    B: Yup, she ________________ is!


Answer Keys and Clues
1. ready and rain’ (meaning ready and excited/ revving and keen to do ~)
2. y’all (meaning you all/ you guys)
3. madder than a wet hen (meaning ‘to be very angry’)
4. fixin’ to (meaning about to do…/ just get ready to do…)
5. Bless your heart (which is an expression of pity used by southerners/ or southern euphemism for F-word)
6. all hat and no cattle (meaning  someone is all talk and no action/substance. Someone who dresses nicely but doesn't really have any money)
7. more than you can shake a stick at (meaning a lot, too many, tons)

8. sure n’uff (meaing sure enough – usually used to express agreement)

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Acrostic Poem about TRANSLANGUAGE!

  Celebration of multicultural and multilingual heritage is becoming more important than ever in America today. As I pointed out through my ...